The Advent season invites us to embrace wonder and hope rather than control over our future.
Just as the first coming of Jesus did not happen as expected, so will the return of Jesus. There is no need to try and figure out the day or the way in which He will come. We need to face the truth that we have no control over the future. Rather, we listen to Jesus as he teaches us how to live.
The only command in Scripture regarding the return of Jesus is to be ready, to not be found “sleeping.” (Mark 13:37)
How can we be ready?
We are to be doing the work that Jesus commissioned his people to do. Here are some statements developed by my church denomination that can help with this.
- I have begun following Jesus, and am depending on the Spirit of Jesus in my journey.
- I am being sent by Jesus to bless others and invite them to follow Him.
- I am becoming like Jesus in my attitudes, behaviours, and character.
- I am learning to love God and love others.
- I am learning the teachings of Jesus.
- I am helping someone and someone is helping me to be a reproducing follower of Jesus.
- I am participating in a community of followers of Jesus on mission to the world.